Drake Software blog for tax pros, covering tax, IRS news, and more

What to Do About Your Missing W-2

What to Do About Your Missing W-2

While the majority of taxpayers receive a W-2 before the beginning of January, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Luckily - since it's needed for filing an accurate return - the IRS has advice for people who are missing their Form W-2.

If you haven’t received your form by mid-February, here are four steps the IRS says you should take if you haven't received a W-2 by the middle of this month:

  • Contact your Employer and ask for a copy.
  • Call the IRS at 800.829.1040 after February 23.
  • File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, by April 18, 2016.
  • Correct your submitted return if necessary, using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Finally, remember the healthcare-related forms, like a 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C: whichever is applicable for your situation.

Source: Internal Revenue Service

Taxing Subjects

The Taxing Subjects staff is proud to cover the latest in tax-industry-related news, from tax law and IRS updates to technology and business strategies. If you have questions about an article or just want to reach out to the Taxing Subjects staff, email comments@taxingsubjects.com.

comments powered by Disqus