Tax Relief - Hurricane Isaac victims
The IRS has announced tax relief for individuals and businesses affected by Hurricane Isaac.
So far, IRS filing and payment relief applies to the following localities:
- In Louisiana: Ascension, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist and St. Tammany parishes;
- In Mississippi: Hancock, Harrison, Jackson and Pearl counties.
- affected individuals and businesses have until 1.11.2013 to file returns and pay any taxes due on filings and payment deadlines occurring on or after 8.26.2012
- included are those filings previously extended by businesses until 9.17.2012 and by individuals and businesses until 10.15.2012
- third quarter estimated tax payments are included (9.17.2012 due date)
- interest, late-payment or late-filing penalties that would otherwise apply will be abated
- failure-to-deposit penalties for federal employment and excise tax deposits normally due on or after 8.26.2012 and before 9.10.2012 will be waived if deposits are made by 9.10.2012
More details on tax relief and claiming disaster losses can be found at: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Relief-in-Disaster-Situations.